At Johansen Dental, located in Chandler, AZ, Dr. Grant Johansen gives his patients the necessary information to help them maintain a healthy oral regimen, and prevent problems like gum (periodontal) disease from occuring.
More on Gum Disease
Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is when a bacteria attack your gums and causes inflammation. It's a painful ordeal, so maintaining good oral hygiene is vital. If you don't, you may experience a variety of issues including:
- Gum recession
- Bone loss around your teeth
- Tooth loss of teeth
Causes of Periodontal Disease
Periodontal disease is related to poor oral hygiene. When a person neglects to take care of their teeth, the rest of their mouth suffers.
Here are a few things that may lead to gum disease:
- Not brushing your teeth twice a day
- Skipping bi-annual doctor's appointments
- Not Flossing at least once before bed
- Skipping deep dental cleanings
- Eating foods containing sugars that lead to plaque accumulation
- Chewing tobacco and smoking
Periodontal Disease Symptoms
You may not know you have gum disease at an early stage if you're not visiting your dentist regularly, here are a few symptoms:
- Receding gums
- Redness or swelling of the gums
- Periodontal abscess
- Bleeding gums
- Bad breath
There are a few treatment options your doctor may provide you with, here are some:
- Applying antimicrobial products to assist in the healing process of periodontal disease.
- Periodontal surgery may be required depending on the severity of your gum disease
- Manually removing plaque by scaling, root planning or debridement.
Your gums are just as important as any part of your dental/oral health. Improper care may lead to severe issues. If you have questions or concerns about gum disease or gum disease therapy, call Dr. Grant Johansen in Chandler, AZ.